The undersigned Maltese civil society organisations condemn Russia’s unprovoked invasion of peaceful Ukraine and voice their solidarity both with Ukrainains and with the Russian people who are subjugated and repressed by the government of Vladimir Putin.
The Foreign Minister Evarist Bartolo has said “might is not right”. We urge the Government of Malta to put words into action and:
- support any and all targeted sanctions up to the highest level of the Russian government, as well as broad sanctions that will reduce Russia’s ability to conduct warfare;
- end the sale of passports to Russian elites, who have benefited from Putin’s corruption;
- indefinitely suspend bilateral agreements with Russia;
- expel Russian diplomats, who work in support of the illegal invasion of Ukraine.
We also urge the Maltese government to show support and solidarity to the Ukrainian people to:
- halt all forced returns of Ukrainians;
- grant, as a minimum, Subsidiary Protection to all Ukrainian asylum-seekers;
- release Ukrainians detained with a view to removal;
- accept all Ukrainian visa applications.
- The Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation
- SOS Malta
- Integra Foundation
- aditus Foundation
- Jesuit Refugee Service Malta