The Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation has filed a complaint with Malta’s Commissioner for Standards in Public Life concerning Alfred Grixti, the CEO of Malta’s Foundation for Social Welfare Services.
On more than once occasion since he was first appointed in 2013, Mr Grixti has undermined the value of public service and social welfare for all with his public statements.
His latest remarks – calling for migrant rescue ships to be seized and scuttled – display an absolute disregard for inalienable rights, especially the right to life, as well as total disregard for the authorities’ positive obligation to prevent loss of life. His comments to journalists demonstrate a lack of respect for the media, in a country with a poor environment for free and safe expression.
We have asked the Commissioner to admonish Mr Grixti and to call on Malta’s Public Services Commission to relieve him of his position.
Articles related to this action
- ‘Seize the boat and sink it!’ Malta social welfare boss Grixti on migrants pleading for safe port - Malta Today, 11 April 2020
- Calls grow for social welfare boss dismissal after anti-migrant tirade - Times of Malta, 11 April 2020
- Social workers say they ‘cannot work’ with Alfred Grixti - Malta Independent, 11 April 2020
- Sink Alfred Grixti’s boat: he should not be running our social welfare - Truth Be Told, 11 April 2020
- 7 Outrageous Things The Man In Charge Of Fighting Domestic Abuse In Malta Said Over The Weekend - Lovin’ Malta, 24 September 2018
- Fire the Piper at the earliest - Times of Malta, 6 August 2017
- Alfred Grixti says Facebook rant justified as it was posted ‘after office hours’ - Malta Independent, 16 September 2016