Joseph Muscat replied to a Council of Europe Commissioner who urged him to drop libel proceedings against Daphne Caruana Galizia, which he continues against her family, by stating that he would do so if the Caruana Galizia family make a declaration to denounce their mother’s work.
Press release from Daphne’s family
When Joseph Muscat said, under oath in court, that he will drop his and his wife’s libel case against us if we accept the findings of the Bugeja report, we said will not concede to extortion by our public servants. Our position on not accepting blackmail will never change.
Furthermore, we do not have access to the whole inquiry report and therefore do not have access to:
- testimony given by Daphne Caruana Galizia before the said magistrate;
- testimony given by Maria Efimova before the said magistrate;
- testimony given by Jacqueline Alexander and whether she confirmed or denied signing a trust document naming the plaintiff Michelle Muscat as the company’s ultimate beneficial owner;
- testimony given by Karl Cini and Brian Tonna about the holder of bearer share certificates representing 99% of the equity in Egrant Inc. and in whose name they were held;
- reports by the forensic accountants appointed by magistrate Aaron Bugeja to examine and analyse the operational database, accounts and archives of Pilatus Bank Ltd.
A copy of our formal reply in court is available.
- Malta urged to drop libel cases against murdered journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia — Euronews, 20 September 2019
- Commissioner calls on Maltese authorities to withdraw posthumous defamation lawsuits against the family of Daphne Caruana Galizia — Council of Europe, 19 September 2019
- Malta urged to drop libel lawsuits against Daphne Caruana Galizia — The Guardian, 19 September 2019
- Malta PM accused of ‘blackmail’ over slain reporter — EU Observer, 19 September 2019
- ‘Drop libel suits against Daphne Caruana Galizia,’ CoE to Government — Newsbook, 19 September 2019
- Muscat says he will drop Caruana Galizia libel if family accepts Egrant inquiry conclusions — Malta Independent, 19 September 2019
- Joseph Muscat tells Council of Europe he won’t drop Caruana Galizia libel suits unless family accepts Egrant findings — Malta Today, 19 September 2019
- Prime Minister’s case against a dead journalist has ‘chilling effect on investigative journalism’ — Shift, 19 September 2019
- Family reacts as Council of Europe urges PM to drop Caruana Galizia libel suits — Times of Malta, 18 September 2019
- PM will drop proceedings against Caruana Galizia if family accepts Egrant inquiry conclusions — Times of Malta, 31 January 2019
- Joseph Muscat offers to drop Caruana Galizia libel if family accept Egrant inquiry findings — Malta Today, 31 January 2019
- Muscat willing to drop Caruana Galizia libel case if heirs accept Egrant inquiry findings — Newsbook, 31 January 2019
- CPJ urges Muscat to drop lawsuit against Daphne Caruana Galizia — Shift, 4 May 2018
- CPJ urges Malta’s PM to drop lawsuit against the late Daphne Caruana Galizia — CPJ, 2 May 2018